How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Good evening. My parents have two years visa (category C),

Customer Question

Good evening.
My parents have two years visa (category C), visiting the UK (me). They have had these two year visas for a few times now. They just came to visit me (they are here in the UK now). Their visa will expire in less than 2 month. Can they apply to renew their visa for another 2 years while they are here in the UK or do they need to go outside the UK and repeat the process like before from outside?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are they dependent on you?

Why do they wish to extend their visa?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, they are not dependant. They have VISITING visa (category C) and they have had it for a few times. They come and visit me. Every time is for two years. This time it happened that they are here while their visa is going t expire in about two month.

I just want to know if they can get their 2 year renewal visa in the UK (same way they do outside UK) or do they need to be outside and use the ususal process.

I think this is not Extending if my understanding is correct. The embassy issues a new visa every two years when my parents apply. Or maybe you call it extending and it is the same thing.



Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.

I agree that renewing and extending mean pretty much the same thing.

But the bottom line is that they have to return to their home country at the end of this trip.

They cannot renew or extend from within the UK.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon Mr Hughes and thanks for your response.


I know they go back.

The problem is that there is no British embassy in Tehran and they need to travel to Emirate (UAE) to get the new visa usually. This will incure a lot of cost as they need to stay there for approximately one week while they hand over their passports and they get it back. This is in addition to actual fees and usual costs.


They are here for 3 weeks which another one and half week of it has remained. I thought if it is possible to apply while they are in the UK, then we would do it here. So my question is that:

Is it possible to apply for a renewal 2 year category C family visiting visa from inside the UK? If it is possible, I will be thankful if you would please to let me know how or where to find the forms on UK Border Agency website.





Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
As I said in my previous answer this type of visa cannot be extended or renewed whilst in the UK. However, to be absolutely certain I will check the position for you with UKBA.