How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Good Afternoon I am German Citizen and came to the UK mainland

This answer was rated:

Good Afternoon

I am German Citizen and came to the UK mainland in 10/2005. Apart from holidays I have left only once in 11/2009 for 207 days (but filed the E301 leaving form with HM Revenue, as I did not know if I will return). In 06/2010 I have returned to Guernsey though where I live ever since.
Can I apply for UK citizenship?
In the AN guide I was reading that EU nationals have to stay 6 years and can not break permanent residence for more than 180 days.


Have you applied for Permanent Residence by submiting ukba form EEA3?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No. I have been working all the time though and have still all my P60s and P45s.


Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that you would not be eligible to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen even if you did not have to problem with day’s outside the UK.

The problem is because you have moved to Guernsey which is not considered part of the UK for the purpose of the immigration rules. It is it’s own government in this regard. They have their own rules in term of naturalisation, I understand that it is almost entirely at the discretion of the Royal Court – you may have noticed that Guernsey can be quite insular and protective of their indigenous population.

The upshot is that the time you have spent in Guensey is not recognised as time spent in the UK for the purposes of naturalising and so you are prevent from making an application to naturalise as a UK citizen for this reason and because of the fact that you are not regarded as being resident in the UK.

I am very sorry.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That's ok, saves me applying and paying the fees in vain. Thanks Tom!

No problem.

Thanks for rating my answer.

Happy Christmas!