How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

how do You apply to be " resident but not domiciled" in the

Customer Question

how do You apply to be " resident but not domiciled" in the UK

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

Can we have the background to your question, please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Danish citizen (adr. still i DK)

Holding company in DK after sale of company

Living on boat i St. katharins dock since 1.10.2012, cruising GB this summer maybe further on this winter but keeping GB as base ( will a be sufficient ??)

Could you maybe recommend a lawyer to oversee my app.



Henrik Hansen



Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

This isnt my area. I will opt out for another expert. This might be better in UK tax, rather than law.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Is there a specific reason why you need to be a resident of England?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

to avoid tax in DK

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.
You do not need to apply to be a resident but not domiciled in the UK. It is a question of fact.

Usually, if you spend more than 183 days in the UK, you are deemed to be resident in the UK.

Domicile is a complicated issue but you would be deemed to be Danish domiciled if you were born in Denmark to a Danish father.

I suggest you see this if you have not already:

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback