How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Im a British Citizen by Decent I got my citizenship through

Customer Question

Im a British Citizen by Decent I got my citizenship through my mother who moved to Jamaica just before I was born.

I now have 2 young kids and I would like to know exactly how long would i have to live and work in the UK to pass on Citizenship to my children.

Also is it possible for me to leave the UK during this work period.

Please advise.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.


You need to live in the UK with the children for at least 3 years first (work, study etc.) and you may leave the UK for up to 90 days a year (i.e. up to 270 days over the 3 year period) without having any problems.


See here for further details:

Hope this helps