How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi like to Ask you, Currently i am holding Tier 4 General Student

Customer Question

Hi like to Ask you, Currently i am holding Tier 4 General Student Visa and expiring on May 31 2013. My question is can i switch to General Visit Visa from uk or not. if yes is there any alternatives to extend my stay switching to general visit visa.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

What can you not extend your student visa?

Do you ultimately intend to work in the UK with a view to applying for ILR?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My graduation is on July 2013, my current tier 4 student visa is expiring on 31st may 2013. Can i apply general visit visa from uk to extend my stay for graduation, if no what other option do i have applying from uk.


Thank you


Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that there is no option to apply for a visitor’s visa once you are already in the UK.

Visitor’s visas are only for those persons based outside of the UK who wish to come to the UK for a very short visit and then leave before the expiry or it. It must be for recreational purposes in the case of a general visitor’s visa.

Even if a person was able to get a visit visa in whilst in the UK (which they are not) then they would not be able to switch in to another category without leaving the UK before the expiry of the visitor’s visa. This is because it is a condition of the visitor’s visa that a person must leave at the end of it.

If you ultimate wish is for you to get leave to remain in the UK so that you can work and eventually apply for ILR then unless one of the following apply then you should be looking at applying for a Tier 2 sponsored skilled worker visa:-
- You are in a relationship with a EEA national, UK national or foreign national holding leave to remain
- You have a child with a right to reside/stay in the UK
- You have access to £200, 000.00 for the purpose of investing in the
- You are regarded as an exceptional talent for the purpose of applying for Tier 1 visa.

If none of the above apply then a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker visa would appear to be the best way forward. However, the reality is that you would probably not be able to get a job from a licensed sponsor and apply for the visa before you current leave expires.

This means that you should use the time to attempt to find a sponsor and have the intial interviews then apply from outside the UK once you have left before your visa expires.

If your visa expires and you don’t leave you will be regarded as an overstayer which means that the UKBA will have a general reason to refuse most visas that you can apply for.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank for information, can i able to apply for extension of stay for my graduation,



Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

You might be able to get a very short period of further leave to remain on a discretionary basis.

You would have to apply by giving details of why you are applying and supporting evidence confirming when your application is.

I woudl expect that you would get a short amount, perhaps a month or two..

Please remember to rate my answer.

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,