How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I have been living in England for 7years,i came in on a visit

Customer Question

I have been living in England for 7years,i came in on a visit for 6months.I cant go back home because of terrorist activities back Home in Nigeria,my father and mother were victims terrorist attack they are dead years ago.Luckily for me I manage to excape to Gambia,teaching with my college certificate I had on Economics.i taught in Gambia for 6years,then got visa to travel to England.Since I have been here in England,friends do assist me for food and accommodation.Life is have difficult for me now.Pls am asking if there is anyway to help me.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Why have you not claimed asylum?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not claimed asylum,could u help if that could be the best possible way??

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Please bear with me while I type a full answer for you. This could take around 10 - 15 mins.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.

If you are at risk of serious harm in your own country you may be able to claim asylum in the UK.

The main legal document which sets out the law in this area is the UN Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees 1951. A successful asylum seeker may be given leave to remain in the UK for five years.

Asylum is usually claimed as soon as a person enters the UK. However, since you did not make the claim immediately you will have to go to an asylum screening unit in Croydon or Liverpool. You will then be registered as an asylum seeker and begin the asylum application procedure. The fact that you have spent some time in the UK already may count against you when your application is considered.

Once you claim asylum you will usually be given temporary leave to enter and remain in the UK. You may be allowed to live freely and provided with support and / or housing by the government. However, there is a risk that you could be held in detention while your application is being processed on the basis that you are an over stayer and have lived in the UK unlawfully for a significant period of time.

Once your application has been processed you will be told whether you can remain in the UK as an asylum seeker or not. Sometimes such a decision can take many months to finalise so you will have to be patient while the application is processed.

For details of the asylum screening units and to book an appointment you should call:
020 8196 4524 for appointments
Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon CR9 2BY
Opening Hours:
Monday to Friday 08:00-13:00. The appointment line is open Monday to Friday 09:00 to 16:45.

It is advisable to instruct an immigration lawyer to help you with your application. A list of immigration solicitors can be obtained from the Law Society: and a list of immigration advisers is also held by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner:

Please remember to rate my answer and I will be happy to answer follow up questions for free.