How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I applied for Brittish citizenship, and got refused under deception.

Customer Question

I applied for Brittish citizenship, and got refused under deception. Basically I used false identity when I entered the country and I didnt do this to hide any criminal activity. I was just under presure and made that mistake

Since than I have used my false identity to obtain my driving licence , HMRC, mortgage and the bank.

Im in a big dilema and dont know what to do next as I really want to use my real identity.! Your advise would be really appreciated.
I would like some answers as to, how do I put my records straight with: Home Office, HMRC, DVLA, Bank.
many thanks,
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

The Home Office has the power to refuse to grant you British Citizenship due to deception and also has the power to revoke any British Citizenship obtained through deception.

Entering the UK using deception is a criminal offence and you could be prosecuted for it.

You need to start off by convincing the Home Office to use their discretion and look at your case favourably under human rights legislation, if they agree to regularise your status based on your real identity, you may then update your records with the other Government agencies (DVLA, HMRC etc.)

I suggest you appoint a Solicitor if possible to assist you with your dealings with the Home Office, you need to come clean now that the Home Office know of your deception.

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thank you for the reply.
How do you think I should put my identity right?
I been told of providing a passport of country of birth
and ask the Home Office to stamp my ILR on my
correct identity!

Just to mention that, my application was refused since January 2013, and I haven't heard anything from the Home Office since. You think they can still take action against me?

Also before I applied for the Citizenship , I changed my name to the original and only the name is XXXXX XXXXX any other government departments . The date of birth and nationality are incorrect.!

Regards, Eric
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Thank you,

Yes, the Home Office could take action against you even though they have not been in touch since January.

It is very easy to change names by deed poll, you cannot change your date of birth or original nationality obviously as that remains with you for life.

You could produce as many documents as possible showing your real identity e.g. school reports, doctors and hospital records, original birth certificate, original passport etc. to show your original identity but there is no guarantee that you will be issued with ILR against your original identity as you obtained it by deception in the first place.

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi thanks again.
What you think my best options are? I can understand the course of action that Home Office might take against me, but any solutions to the case? What would be the first course of action and so on? Should I just sit and wait or should I do something about it?( if anything?)
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
It really depends on you Eric, if you feel you have a strong case to argue why you used deception in the first place, you may be lucky e.g. if your life was in danger and you had no other options.

Each case is different from the other really. If you think you do not have a good case, you may want to keep quiet and see if the HO does anything. You should not apply for BC again until the Home Office accepts your arguments.

All the best and please leave feedback
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Many thanks , all the best too!
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Cheers. Please leave feedback so I can get credited for my answers.