How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now

our domestic worker is in the UK from the Philippines on a

This answer was rated:

our domestic worker is in the UK from the Philippines on a six month domestic employee work visa, predicated on our simply visiting the UK for six months. She would like to extend her working stay in the UK, legally, as long as possible. One of her friends assures her it is possible, but she has to have different employers. As far as we know, there is no legal means for her to remain here. Are we wrong? We would like to help her if we can. And if we decide to extend our stay, can she continue to work for us?

Her friend is unfortunately talking about old domestic worker visa rules. These have changed since 6 April 2012 and it is no longer possible to extend or switch employer in that way.


6 months is the maximum permitted period for the visa holder to remain in the UK and she must leave the UK when the visa expires or when you leave the UK, whichever is sooner. If you remain in the UK longer than 6 months then she must still leave the UK before her visa expires.


This is confirmed on the following web page where conditions of the visa are outlined:

Howard and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you