How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi can i apply for british passport when both of my grandparents

This answer was rated:

Hi can i apply for british passport when both of my grandparents were british? my father is southafrican and holds british passport?

Where and when were you born?

Where and when were both of your parents born?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

mum is was born in czech dad was born in south africa


I will answer at 9am.


Thanks for your patience.

I assume that you were not born in the UK.

If you were not born in the UK then you will not be able to apply for a UK passport. UK citizenship is only permitted to descent one generation from UK citizens born in the UK (who hold “UK citizenship otherwise than by descent) to their children that are born outside the UK.

When a child is born outside the UK to parents who are “UK citizens otherwise than by descent” they obtained “citizenship by descent”. This is what your father has. Unfortunately, this means that he cannot pass his citizenship on to you.

However, you have options. The first is that I would investigate whether you are entitled to receive a Czech passport by virtue of the fact that your mother was a Czech citizen. If you are then you can apply for a Czech passport. If you get this then you would be a European Economic Area national. This means that you could travel to the UK when you wished without applying for a visa and would be free to work as well.

The second option if you do not qualify for a Czech passport is to apply for an Ancestry Visa. To be eligible for this you would have to wish to work in the UK. Here is the UKBA webpage on this visa:-

This is a work visa for commonwealth citizens who have UK grandparents. You can apply for indefinite leave to remain once you have been on this visa for 5 years. Once you have held indefinite leave to remain for 12 months you can then apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen if you meet the criteria on the following page:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to RATE my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,