How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7691
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi, I am a french citizen looking to apply for citizenship

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a french citizen looking to apply for citizenship in the UK.
I studied a full-time master course in the UK from Sep 2007 to early Sep 2008, then had no activity for 2 month (spent most of that period in Portugal), and got a job starting 29 Oct 2008 (which I still work at).
Does this mean that I cannot apply to UK citizenship before 29 Oct 2013 due to the qualifying period ? Or can I have the qualifying period not start exactly 5 years before but some time before (when I was studying full tmie) ?

As for proof of english and life in the UK, can I choose which one I want to do ? I understand the rules change on 28 of oct at which point I would need to do both, which is why I would like to apply before (but might be limited by qualifying residential period)

Finally, do I need to report all weekend trips that I have done, and what are the potential consequences of missing one tip (I don't necessarily have all the plane ticket / train records)

Thank you,

Thanks for your patience.

Provided that you are able to show that in the two month period you were self-sufficient or a job seeker then you should still be able to claim that period as part of your qualifying period.

I assume that factoring in the absence during this time together with the other days that you have spent outside of the UK you still fall under the limited placed on naturalisation applications for days outside of the UK.

So, if you were in the UK studying from September 2007 then I would say that your qualifying period starts then, since studying is a form of exercising treaty rights. Therefore, you would probably have been eligible to apply for naturalisation from September 2012 provided that you otherwise met the eligibility criteria.

However, the qualifying period will run from the date that is 5 years before the date that you apply. Therefore, you will certainly have to show that if you apply in the period that you were between studying and job then you will have to show that your study period prior to this because you will need to show you were exercising treaty rights and that the gap between studying and working was simply a short holiday away.

I’m afraid that because it is clear that you speak English to a reasonable standard you would have to do the Life in the UK test:-

You should attempt to give as much details about your time outside the UK as possible. If you cannto remember to precise dates then you should say so in a covering letter explaining the details that you do remember if you don’t remember the actual dates. If there is a reason why you cannot remember then say so (ie. flght tickets.).

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you