How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now

Im a EEA national living in UK for 5 years 8 months now and

This answer was rated:

I'm a EEA national living in UK for 5 years 8 months now and married to a British national . Am I free then from immigration time restrictions? I'd like to apply for a naturalisation.
If you can prove that you have been exercising Treaty Rights for 5 years then you can apply for a document certifying Permanent Residence. Exercising Treaty Rights means being in the UK and employed or self-employed, studying, self-sufficient or seeking employment. You do not need to apply as you automatically have the right to Permanent Residence when you meet the requirements but the document simplifies matters.

When you can meet these requirements for a period of 6 years then you can apply for Naturalisation. You do NOT need to have applied for the Permanent Residence card in order to apply for Naturalisation as a British Citizen.

So, if you want to apply for Naturalisation then you need to be able to evidence exercising Treaty Rights in the UK for a period of at least 6 years.
Howard and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you