How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now


This answer was rated:

making application for permanent residence. got civil judgement for debt six year ago. after which the debt has been paid. and there was civil judgement of child support to husband, also paid as ordered. Should they be mentioned in the application, having in mind that they are more than five years ago?

It is important to remember that the form asks if you have any convictions/judgements - it does not ask if you have any in the last 5 years.

You should disclose your history of judgements - if they are considered spent then they should not be a reason for refusal but non-disclosure can be a reason for refusal.
Howard and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

By 'spent' I should understand....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do i understand 'spent' in this context?

This refers to the period after which a judgement is 'wiped from the system'. In the case of a court judgement, for example, it would often be the case that after 5 years the conviction is considered 'spent' and cannot count against you.


Civil judgements are not of particular concern and especially where they are from over 5 years ago, so you do not have anything to worry about but I always recommend full disclosure.


So, the answer to your question is that I recommend disclosure but this should not count against you.