How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now

I am born in the u.k and I have never left this country in

This answer was rated:

I am born in the u.k and I have never left this country in my life and I am 22 years of age. I also have an unspent conviction and my mother is from ghana. She recieved her indefinite leave to remain in the country after my birth and did not register me as a british citizen. When I applied for my british passport they denied it because they said I am stateless. What is the best route and quickest I can take into getting it and is it true I would have to wait for 15 years?
You should apply for Registration:

The full guide can be found here:

Please pay close attention to page 12 of the guide as this very clearly outlines the good character requirement for Registration as a British Citizen.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As I recieved 3years and 4months it says I would have to wait for 15years, is there not an alternative route and am I not able to fight my case. What is your advice?

Unfortunately those are the rules. You cannot apply for registration as a stateless person as you are no longer under 22 years of age and so this is the route you should take. If you spent between 1 and 4 years in prison then 15 years is the period you must wait. I am not aware of any way around these requirements. Sorry that I cannot give you better news.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

O.k so what about naturalisation?

It still has the same good character requirement or I would have recommended it as an alternative:

To become a British Citizen as an adult you must be of 'good character', regardless of the route.

I would like to give you alternatives but your previous conviction has this consequence.

Please remember to rate the service that I have provided to you and not rate based on whether or not you like the advice that I must give.
Howard and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dont worry Howard I do know the difference lolSmile