How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I came to the UK under the Tony Blair Initiative in 2005 as

This answer was rated:

I came to the UK under the Tony Blair Initiative in 2005 as a clinical Social Worker from the USA. I am also a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago where I was born. My grandparents are born English. i hold four degrees, licences, British registration and my doctorate. I arrived on a work permit for five years. In 2006, i changed jobs due to harassment and discrimination as a Gay black foreigner. I was subsequently sacked and fell homeless on several occasions. I suffer from both medical and mental illness. I held Leave to Enter until June 2010 and a Residence Permit or Limited Leave to remain until June 2011. I saw a Solicitor who applied for Discretionary Leave, before my visa expired. I lost my right to receive benefits a year ago..and won my disability case in both the USA and uk. I was given a general first time refusal. My lawyers has made representation since February of 2012 and there has been no response to date. What are the chances now of me receiving some form of leave and since i have been a resident for 6 years legally and 2'1/2 years unlawfully making it 8 1/2 years, will i be successful and soon??

There is a good chance of you obtaining discretionary leave to remain on human rights grounds as you have not heard on your application since February 2012 and you have been harassed and discriminated against in the past.

As for the timing, I would simply ask your Solicitor to complain to the Home Office about the delay in processing your application and you may ask your local MP in the UK to intervene as well.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you