How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hello, I am an international student who just finished her

Customer Question

Hello, I am an international student who just finished her MA degree in the UK. Me and my british-citizen partner would like to get married. I am currently outside the UK but I am going back to attend my award ceremony using my Tier 4 visa which expires two weeks from the ceremony. Can I remain in the UK until our wedding date in May, 2014? and if I can, then what should we do in terms of my residency in the UK and marriage application? Will I be able to travel with my spouse without using my Saudi Arabian passport?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

I am afraid you may only stay in the UK until the expiry date of your tier 4 visa.

If you wish to get married in the UK and your tier 4 visa has expired before your proposed wedding date in May 2014, you will need to return home and apply for a UK fiancee visa to enable you to get married in the UK, see here for more information about the fiancee visa:

Once you get married in the UK, you may then apply for further leave to remain as a spouse of a British citizen:

You will still need to travel with your Saudi passport whether or not you travel with your spouse, until you get a British passport eventually after you have been married and lived in the UK for 5 years and obtained indefinite leave to remain and made a successful UK naturalisation application:

Hope this helps