How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a British national working in Nigeria for the pass 11

Customer Question

I am a British national working in Nigeria for the pass 11 years, I have to children to a Nigerian mother, both children birth certificates are in my name, how do I go about applying for them to get British passports to enable them to come to the UK.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Are you a British national by birth having been born in the UK to British parents?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

British by birth also parents

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

The guidance notes and details on how to apply for a UK passport for your child can be found by inputting the relevant information on the following link:-

Once you have input the correct documentation about where you are and where your children are you will see the following page:-

This page gives full information on how to prepare the application (see the guidance notes available for on the page) and the address of where to send the application.

If your children were born in Nigeria then they will obtain “Uk citizenship by descent”. This is the same as your citizenship (ie. by birth or otherwise known as “UK citizenship otherwise than by descent”), with the exception that if your children themselves have children born outside the UK then their children will not automatically qualify for UK citizenship. This means that your children’s children would have to apply to become UK citizens relying either on a three years period of residence spent in the UK by your children prior to their birth OR after their birth.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kindly rate my answer if you are satisfied with the information I have provided.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.

If not, please rate my answer.

Kind regards,