How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now

Hello, I am trying to find the best visa for my American boyfriend/

Customer Question

Hello, I am trying to find the best visa for my American boyfriend/ fiancé to come to the uk. We meet online and have been together for 18 months I have visited him in the USA once and we are engaged and plan to start a family ASAP. We are both in are 30's and are divorced. He tried to come over in July 2013 but we did not realise that he needed a visa (a little naive I know!) so he had to return. We don't want to make any mistakes and apply for the wrong kind of visa. What would you advise?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.
A US Citizen does not need a visa to come to the UK for a few months holiday but would need a visa for any other reason. Entry can still be refused as a visitor if it is felt that the reason for coming is not for a short visit or if it is felt that he might not leave.

The following advice assumes that you are a British Citizen. If you are not a British Citizen then please let me know.

If you are engaged to be married then he should apply for a Fiance visa. This would permit him to enter for up to 6 months to enable marriage and then a Spouse visa application before expiry of the Fiance visa. He cannot work on this visa but will be able to work once he has a Spouse visa.

He will need to demonstrate that both of you are free to marry and that all other requirements are met, including the financial requirement that YOU must meet unless he has significant savings.

In the first instance you should carefully read all of the relevant information found at:

Please be aware that after you have rated the service that I provide you can still ask for further clarification and I will be happy to assist.
Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.
Do you require further clarification or has your question been answered?