How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi,I am a PhD student in mechanical engineering in University

Customer Question

I am a PhD student in mechanical engineering in University Of Birmingham and I am in the 2nd year of my study.

I have to extend my visa to continue my career, therefore I had to apply for an ATAS(academic technology approval scheme). when I start my PhD once my project has been approved. Now ATAS has declined my application, though it was once approved.
My visa is getting expired on Feb 2nd.
I would like to ask if there is anything possible to do about it and also is it true that it is possible to stay for a short period(28 days) in UK after visa expiry?

Kind regards,
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

You may appeal against the refusal if you think the correct procedure was not followed in declining your ATAS application.

As for your extension, you may either lodge the extension application pending your ATAS appeal determination or you may voluntarily leave the UK.

Yes, you may stay up to 28 days after your visa expiry date without it affecting any future UK visa application.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for kind reply.

Just a quick question, if I get ATAS clearance after my visa expiry (during that 28 days) is it possible to ask for visa extension or is it necessary to leave the country and apply from outside of UK?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
You may apply from within the UK provided it is not more than 28 days ofyour visa expiry date. Otherwise you will need to apply from your home country.

All the best