How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I was born in the UK . My father is English my mother American.

Customer Question

I was born in the UK . My father is English my mother American. I have a US passport and have lived there for the last 23 years. After my mother and father divorced my mothers new husband adopted me.. Am I entitled to a UK passport?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What nationality is your adoptive father
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry.
Had you not been adopted then you would indeed have been entitled to a UK passport
However adoption severs the legal relationship with the biological parent so you can no longer do so.
Sorry to give such bad news.
Please ask if you need further details