How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hello, can you please answer my question. I am Ukrainian. I

This answer was rated:

Hello, can you please answer my question. I am Ukrainian. I live in UK for over 12 years. A several years ago I have married EU national. I have family visa until end of May this year. Unfortunately we are not together and I am in love with another lady and want to merry her, but firstly I would like to get Resident Permit. How can I do it? Thank you

You may apply for a permanent residence card using form EEA4 on the basis of you having lived in the UK for more than 5 years. The fee is GBP 55 for this:

All the best
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. As far as I am concern I have to provide evidance of my life in UK for 12 years, but do I have to provide any documents of my wife life in UK. For example: Do I need submitt my wife's passport, statment, payslips or any other documents?? Or all documants should be related only about me? Thank you


Yes, you also need to send your EEA national spouse's passport and documents showing they have permanent residence in the UK or have been exercising treaty rights in the UK for 5 years, see pages 27 to 29 of the EEA4 form.

All the best
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for an answer. Unfortunately as I said we are no longer together so I can not supply her passport and her documents. What options do I have? I have relationship with another lady and she is EU national as well.


Also I would like to make sure what from I need. I thought I need SET (LR) but not EEA4


You can apply for settlement using form SET(LR) if you have been legally living in the UK for a continuous period of 10 years.


Can I become a student again? And what if I want to divorce and merry another lady? Do I have to leave UK? It's would not be fair if after 12 years of my life in UK I have to leave UK just because I have find a right lady to merry and have a baby.


Please explain what can I do to continue my stay in UK.


If I need SET (LR) form. I did not see that I have to provide passport or any documents from my wife but only from me.


I am not trying to apply for Permit Residence because of 5 years of marriage but because of my life in UK for the last 12 years. Its nothing to do with my wife I think.


Thank you

Normally, time spent in the UK under EEA regulations does not count towards 10 years residence in the UK.

However, if you meet all other requirements for long residence, the Home Office will exercise discretion in your favour and count your time in the UK under EEA regulations towards the 10 year period, so you may go ahead and apply on Form SET(LR), see page 27 here:

So, you should go along and apply for long residency, but the Home Office may ask for proof that you wife was indeed exercising treaty rights in the UK during the period of your EU residence card.

So, you should focus on obtaining ILR/PR, once you get that, you may be a student again freely, remarry etc. in the UK without having to leave the UK.

All the best -please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.


What documents Home Office might ask? Only payslips and statement? Or her password as well?


Can you also what I have to do if I want to merry another lady?

So I have to send deserve and new marriage certificate?


Just wonder what gonna happen if I tell to Home Office that I am no longer with my wife and will submit student application. I would not be asked to leave UK?


Also I wonder what gonna happen if I go for SET (LR) and Home Office will be ask to provide my wife's documents. If I fail to provide Home Office will be refused me with a visa. So it would be to late to apply for any other visa or residence? Or not?


Thank you

Please post new question with your additional queries, asking for UKSolicitorJA only to answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Can you tell me what I have to do If I wish to divorce EU national lady merry another EU national lady. What legal form I have to use and what is the time scale? My visa ended in May 2014. Do I have to provide divorce certificate and new marriage certificate together with a form? Thank you