How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi I just wanted to confirm when I will be eliglible to

This answer was rated:


I just wanted to confirm when I will be eliglible to apply for Indefinitive Leave To Remain.I have been in the UK as a student since September 2004.Then moved onto a Post Study Work Visa in 2011.Currently I am on a spouse/partner visa to a UK citizen that started in Mid 2013 but expires in Dec 2015.Would I able to apply for the leave to remain once my current visa is about to expire or can I do this before then.I am aware the PSW visa doesnt count towards the leave to remain citieria.

I eargerly await your reponse


Hello Habib,

It would appear that you are eligible for ILR under the 10 years long residency rules 28 days before you first entered the UK as a student in September 2004 and assuming that you have lived in the UK ever since and not spent 180 days or more out of the UK on any one occassion and not spent a total of more than 540 days out of the UK over the 10 years period.

You will need to apply on form SET(LR), See here:

As soon as you receive ILR, you may apply immediately for naturalisation as a British Citizen on the basis of being a spouse of a British Citizen, see here:

All the best

UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you