How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am moving to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, for work. My fiance,

This answer was rated:

I am moving to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, for work. My fiance, a UK citizen, was convicted of Benefits Fraud approx 5years ago. I understand UK citizens are normally eligible for a 3month visitors visa on entry to Malaysia. It would be better if she had a residents visa. However because of her UK conviction for benefit fraud we are concerned that she would be refused a residents visa for Malaysia and possibly flagged as a risk and subsequently refused entry to Malaysia even as a visitor. So, my questions are:
- is my fiancé likely to be refused a Malaysian residents visa because of her conviction for benefit fraud in the UK about 5years ago ?
- if she applies for a residents visa and is refused, could she then be flagged as a risk and refused entry to Malaysia as a visitor (3month visitor visa normally granted to UK citizens on entry to Malaysia) ?
- irrespective of whether or not she applies for a residents visa could she be refused a visitor visa on entry to KL (normally granted for 3months to UK citizens) because of her benefit fraud conviction in the UK ?

Thanks in advance,

I have checked the Malaysian Immigration Department website and there is no indication that your fiancee will even need to declare her conviction to Malaysian Immigration.

She will not be asked about it when entering as a visitor for 3 months entry and neither does the Residence Pass application form ask about convictions.

She should simply not declare it to them.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you