How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, my step-daughter is from Ecuador and is 19 years old.

This answer was rated:

Hi, my step-daughter is from Ecuador and is 19 years old. She would like to come to the UK to live with us with a view to stay. I am prepared to sponsor her but am unclear which visa. I have looked at the section for Family of British citizens and settled persons and she doesn't fit into any category. I cannot get a straight answer from the UK Border agency.

I earn about 35,000 and my partner (her father) earns about 9,000. We have two of our own children and have the space to accommodate her.

My step-daughter has finished the equivalent of A levels is Ecuador. She visited us in 2011 and stayed for 3 months.  We spent a lot of time with her when we were in Ecuador last summer.

She cannot afford to study when she comes here so will get herself a job.

Forgot to mention.  I am a UK citizen. My partner is Ecuadorian but has had a British passport since 2003


Hello Lucinda,

Unfortunately your step-daughter is an adult (over 18) so she will need to come to the UK in her own right by securing an appropriate visa.

It seems that the best visa for her would be a student (Tier 4 General) visa, she would obviously need to find an appropriate college/university and for the application, you may sponsor her financially.

Once in the UK, she would be allowed to work within the permitted limits.

See here for further information:

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you