How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

This is regarding applying for British Citizenship for my Family.

Customer Question

This is regarding applying for British Citizenship for my Family. We (myself, Wife and 2 year old daughter) all have Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) since Jul 2012. We have been in UK since

1. Myself - Since March 2007
2 Wife - since Jan 2009
3. Daughter - Since Jun 2012 (born outside UK)

Can you please let me know whether we are all eligible to apply for Citizenship? If so what is the process?

Melvin Antony
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 4 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years of experience. I will try to help you with this. Can you just tell me which country you are from and also what was the reason you were granted indefinite leave?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Hello Melvin,

It would appear that you are all eligible for British citizenship immediately. What nationality you hold currently does not matter or the reason you were granted indefinite leave, as long as you and your wife have been here lawfully.

You and your wife may apply for naturalisation at the same time and the current joint application fee is 1550 pounds. If you delay your application, the fees are going up in April 2014, so you should apply as soon as possible.

You both need to submit form AN, see the process here:

You may apply for registration of your child as a British Citizen on form MN1 at the same time as your applications for naturalisation, the fee is 673 pounds, see the process here:

I would suggest that you lodge all the applications through the nationality checking service as they will photocopy your passports and return the originals to you on the same day:

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for your response. Can you please answer the following as well


1. Can my wife and child apply for citizenship at a later time independent of my application?


2. For the English Language assessment, along with Life in UK Test Pass Certificate do i need to get two separate letters from NARIC for the following

a. Statement of comparability for academic Qualification

b. English Language Assessment letter

I got my degrees (Masters and Bachelors) from universities in India



Melvin Antony

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
1. Yes

2 yes, together with your Indian degrees.

All the best