How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi law. I am hoping that you can help me with

This answer was rated:

Hi law. I am hoping that you can help me with this issue on visitor visas.
I'm an Argentinen national with a UK boyfriend for the past 2 years. I first visited my boyfriend in Wales between the 9th of may 2012 to 23rd of may 2012. I returned to the UK again between the 4th of may 2013 to the 8th of july, I came back to the Uk the 4th of august 2013 and left the 8th of september (each time returning to Argentina). I recently arrived in the UK on the 30th of december thinking I could stay with him for 6 months. I now think that due to my previous visits (dates given above) I might not be legally allowed to stay for the 6 months. The last thing I want to do is to break any laws, so I was hoping you could clarify exactly how the 6 months I am allowed to stay in the Uk as a tourist per year works.
It would be greatly appreciated if you could help us with this matter. If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards, Chula
Hello Chula,

You are very lucky so far to have been admitted to the UK so often, the general rule is you should not spend 6 months or more in any 12 months period and the UK immigration officer has the power to refuse you entry if they feel you are not a bona fide visitor but are residing in the UK.

You should consider applying for a settlement visa if you wish to reside in the UK for longer periods.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you