How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi I am a britiah citizen and just got married to a girl

This answer was rated:

I am a britiah citizen and just got married to a girl who overstayed in uk for about good 8 years but we went back home to get married as i was advised to do so. I will sponsor her next month and admit her file.
Will they refuse her application based on that she overstayed in uk even though i complete all the other requirements to sponsor a spouse?
I am worried.

The good news is that she will not be refused a spouse visa based on her overstaying in the UK as she is married to you, a British citizen.

Her exemption from the ban for overstaying is set out in Paragraph 320 (7C) of the Immigration Rules.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would you pls send me the link for the paragraph you mentioned? Does it mean she will be ban even though if she volunteerly left uk?


She will not be banned as she is the spouse of a British Citizen.

See page 15 of this document: 320(7C):

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you