How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Dear Sir/Madam, I have recently married my Moroccan wife

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have recently married my Moroccan wife in Morocco.

I gave notice at my local registrar in the UK and picked up a capacity of marriage certificate from the British embassy in RABAT. I followed all the steps required for this marriage.

I now need to apply for a visa for my wife to join me in the UK.
Can anyone advise me on the process to follow and the requirements from the UK government ?


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

She will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement) if he is to come here to settle with you permanently. The UKBA webpage on spouse visas is here:

The eligibility criteria is here:-

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• you and your partner are both aged 18 or over at the date of application;
• your partner is a British Citizen, or is present and settled in the UK, or is here with refugee leave or humanitarian protection;
• your partner is not related to you in a way that means you could not marry in UK law;
• you and your partner have met in person;
• your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsisting
• if you are married or in a civil partnership, your marriage or civil partnership is valid in UK law;
• if you are not married or in a civil partnership you have been living with your partner in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years prior to the date of the application;
• you meet the suitability requirements;
• any previous relationship has permanently broken down (this does not apply to certain polygamous relationships);
• you and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK;
• You must meet the financial requirement. This means that the UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600. Alternatively, if you have savings of £62, 500.00 then you would not have to prove any salary. You can also use a mix of the two. Guidance here:

She will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by how much a contractor would charge for the work as a guide to what fee you propose to charge. It will not be inconsiderable.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Do you know where and how to apply for this Visa. A part from that I believe you have answered all my questions.




She has to make the application.

How to apply is on the following page:-

Please see under "Apply outside the UK". She must apply online first by complete form VAF4A. Once she has done this she has to make an appointment at the Visa Application Centre at the British Embassy in Rabat.

Once this is done and they have all the supporting documentation as part of the application they will decide the application.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for your outstanding professional service.Smile