How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a New Zealand citizen applying for a visa to stay in Britain

This answer was rated:

I am a New Zealand citizen applying for a visa to stay in Britain under the right of abode.Where do I send the completed form ROA and how much is it?


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

A right of above is a bit different to a visa, it means that you have the right to live and work in the UK without immigration time restrictions. With a visa, you still have immigration time restrictions (ie. the time restriction is the length of the visa).

I assume that you are not entitled to a right of abode either via one of your parents having been born in the UK and being a citizen of the UK and the colonies OR by virtue of marriage to someone who has a right of abode.

On this basis you would have to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement. You will see from the following link that you must do this online if you are presently outside the UK:-
Please refer to the heading titled “Apply outside the UK” for confirmation. You will see that the application for is also available from the above link.

Form ROA is only appropriate if you are making the application from within the UK.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have right to abode through my mother and have had visas since 1974. I asked you where to send completed form ROA and the cost.


If you are certain ROA is applicable to your circumstances then you must apply online and pay the £170 fee.

You will see this confirmed, together with the link to how you can apply online under the heading "Apply in the UK" here:-

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you