How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

visa for US citizen query

This answer was rated:

Hello, my son is British, 28, lives in London. He has an American girlfriend. She was on an extended stay here last year between July and December, and returned in February. They were both interviewed at length by immigration at Heathrow and she was given a six months visa. They plan to marry and will live here (he is blind so has limited mobility). She wants to study and work after they are married. We are unclear about the visa requirements. If they marry before she has to leave, how long before she can return? Does the six months in every twelve months rule continue to apply after she is married, and for how long? What kind of visa would she need to apply for next time? Or is it better for them to marry in the US after her visa for this trip expires? Any info would be helpful. Thanks


She is not allowed to marry on her current status in the UK, she would need to apply for a fiancée visa from the US to come back to the UK to get married and then she would need to apply for further leave to remain as a spouse of a British citizen after they get married.

Otherwise they could marry in the US and she applies for a spouse settlement visa to come to the UK, this visa allows her to work.

See here for more information

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you