How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a USA citizen in a Civil Partnership since 2007 with an

This answer was rated:

I am a USA citizen in a Civil Partnership since 2007 with an EEA national. I received entry clearance and came to the UK in July 2008. My passport has a 5 year Residence Permit expiring August 14, 2014. My partner became a British citizen January 3, 2012. When she went to renew her Netherlands ID card in September 2013, the Dutch authorities wrote back and said she lost her Dutch nationality as they do not have dual citizenship and backdated it to 2012. They said she could appeal. She appealed and her case is still pending. I understand I can apply for ILR (EEA4) form 28 days before my 5 year deadline in July 2014. An immigration lawyer told us I can apply with the EEA4 form right away. Is that true and is it safe or should I wait until July 2014. When we found out in Oct. 2013 about the change for my partner, following the information on my resident permit letter, we informed the Border Agency on Oct. 2, 2013. What should I do? Thank you in advance for your help. Dr. XXXXX XXXXX -XXXXXX  ([email protected])

Hello Dr,

If your partner has been exercising treaty rights in the UK since you first arrived in July 2008, you may apply for permanent residency straight away using form EEA4.

In fact, as your partner is now a British Citizen, you do not even need to apply for permanent residency as you get that automatically after living in the UK for 5 years as an EEA family member provided your partner has been exercising treaty rights in the UK.

It would appear that you are eligible to apply for British citizenship immediately and both the UK and USA allow dual nationality.

So, you may apply for EEA4 confirmation of your PR and once you get a PR card, you may then immediately apply for British Citizenship, or you may bypass EEA4 and apply straight for British Citizenship.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help, JA. We wish we had found you sooner. It would have saved many sleepless nights. Your response was clear, concise and effectively written. We will finish the EEA4 application and send it off as soon as all the info is gathered.


Also we didn't know about the British citizenship thinking we had to go through several more steps before that was possible. You help is invaluable. Dr. Sharon Brassey-Brierley

You are welcome.

Please take a second to leave feedback