How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have a job offer for a position Quantity Surveyor in Aberdeenshire,

This answer was rated:

I have a job offer for a position Quantity Surveyor in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, salary £40, 000 per anum from a company with a sponsor licence. They have done the resident labour test. I am from Zimbabwe, here with my two children on a tier 4 visa and want to switch to a tier 2 visa before completing my course. I started a one year master's in August 2013. Can i switch? I have previous uk work experience on a work permit issued in 2004 but i left the country after a year with another job. Since 2005 I have had several visit visas and the last one was a ten year visa expiring 2020.

Thanks for your question.

You will see from the following link that Tier 4 visa nationals are permitted to switch in to Tier 2 General under certain conditions:-

You will see that Tier 4 is listed under the heading "Eligibility.

You will further see that switch from Tier 4 is permitted only if you hold one of the following qualifications having received it from your Tier 4 visa:-
a UK bachelors degree
a UK masters degree
a postgraduate certificate in education
a professional graduate diploma of education
Please see the heading "Switch from a Tier 4 or other student visa" for confirmation of this.

So, if you were previously on a tier 4 visa to study a degree in the UK and you obtained that degree then you can switch.

If you did not study here to obtain your degree then you have not obtained a qualification from a Tier 4 visa. In these circumstance you would either have to wait until you have obtained your masters degree from your current Tier 4 visa OR apply from outside the UK.

I assume that because you have held a previous visitor's visa from 2010-2020 that you have obtained your degree outside the UK and must therefore either wait until you obtain your masters or apply from outside the UK.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you