How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I am Syrian lady married to British citizen man. my husband

Customer Question

I am Syrian lady married to British citizen man. my husband couldn't bring me to the UK as his wife because the UK border agency didn't approve his financial ability.. I have obtained transit visa at Heathrow airport. the question is,,, can I apply for asylum upon my arrival at Heathrow airport and be with my husband.
Thanks and best regards
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.

There is nothing preventing you from applying for asylum at Heathrow provided you feel there is a genuine threat to your life if you were to be return to Syria.

I believe that you need to make sure that the reason you are claiming asylum is because of the threat to your life and not because you want to be with your husband. The home office are aware of the situation in Syria and provided you can show them evidence of what is happening in your area/town and how your family or families living in the area have been effected and the fact that even if they asked you to relocate to another town or city you still would not be safe, your chance of an asylum application may be successful.

Having said that if you wish to claim asylum at Heathrow you may do so when you arrive. You should be aware that the claim can take time to be processed and you may be sent to a detention center until your case is decided or you may be allowed temporary entry to the UK,it all depends on how serious the UK border agency view your asylum claim.

I hope this answers your question. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the good answer. one more thing. . is it ok for my husband to be with me at the flight heading to London and assist me with applying for asylum at Heathrow airport..

kind regards

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.I apologise for the delay in reverting back to your.

There is nothing preventing your husband from traveling with you to Heathrow, but when it comes to applying for asylum then you are more likely to be interview on your own and your husband will not be able to accompany you to the interviews.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards