How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My daughter is born in India at that time Im british citizen

This answer was rated:

My daughter is born in India at that time I'm british citizen
How can I apply for British citizen for her
She is now in India ever since she is born in 2010
Im residing in Wembley London uk
Hi Ravi

How did you obtain uk citizenship please?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Thomas
I came to this country in 2003 on work permit
After 5yrs I got indefinite stay in 2008 after one yr I applied for citizenship
And I got it in 2009 December ,my passport no XXXXXXXXX
My wife came in 2004 and stayed with me and left in 2010 jan 18th
At that time she is pregnant and eventually gave birth a baby girl in India on 2nd August 2010.
So that is all about my self and my fmly
Thanking you
Awaiting for your response
Ravi Konari
Hi Ravi

Thanks for your patience.

If you obtained ILR or citizenship by naturalisation before your child was born then your child qualifies for UK citizenship by descent.

She qualifies under s2(1) of the British Nationality Act, as you will see here:-

This is because she was born outside the UK to a parent who was a UK citizen at the time of her birth.

This means that she will have "citizenship by descent", which means that she has all the rights of a UK citizen, except that she won't be able to pass on her citizenship if any of her own children are born outside the UK.

She has this automatically, all you need to do is apply for a UK passport on her behalf and provided you can prove that you were a citizen at the time of her birth then she will be given a UK passport.

You can see how to apply for a passport here:-

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you