How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

One of our employees, a uk/mid Eastern joint citizen is currently

This answer was rated:

One of our employees, a uk/mid Eastern joint citizen is currently on a contract for working 20 hours per week which is all her family has allowed her to work for the past four years.

She is now asking us for a 50 hour contract. This is because she is marrying a man from her original country and who is a member of her extended family.

They are marrying in Afghanistan. She says that in order for him to live in the Uk, she must prove to the UK Government that she can support them both.

We find this all rather dubious and anyway, do not have work for her beyond her current hours.

Is what she proposes a legal process or is it some kind of scam?

We are quite concerned for her welfare especially as it is clearly an arranged marriage.

Thank you for your reply.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Yes, that is OK but please indicate how long this will take.


Thank you.


I'm afraid JustAnswer cannot guarantee a time but most questions are answered in a timely manner. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you tell me has she worked continually with you for four years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks - she has been a student for two years and then an employeed for three years.


Kind Regards.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX looked into this for you but I think it is more of an immigration issue so will move your query to the appropriate section where a colleague should be able to assist. No need to respond in the meantime as it will just send the question back to me.

She appears to be genuine.

The UK Immigration Rules changed recently and any UK citizen wishing to sponsor a spouse for a UK spouse settlement visa is required to be earning at least £18,600 p.a if no children are involved.

It is also quite common for middle eastern people to marry someone in the extended family.

If you do not have the additional work that she is looking for, you may simply inform her of this. It is her private affair what she does and as an employer, you may wish to ask her if she is okay and voluntarily entering the marriage withoutappearing to be meddling in her private affairs.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thanks very much for your reply and certainly I have asked her if she is OK. She has replied in the affirmative and has accepted that we are unable to offer her 50 hours so she is going to find extra employment elsewhere.


Kind Regards,



Thank you.

Please remember to rate the service.