How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My daughter wants to marry a Canadian divorcee, here in the

Customer Question

My daughter wants to marry a Canadian divorcee, here in the UK where she grew up, and then go back to Canada to live. He does not want UK citizenship, she has dual English Canadian citizenship. What paperwork does he need to bring over in order to get a licence to marry here. Advice seems confusing.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If it is the case that your daughter’s simply wishes to visit the UK, marry your daughter and then return home then the correct form of visa that he should apply for is a Marriage Visitor’s visa.

The Home Office page for it is here:-

The eligibility criteria is here:-
..and how to apply here:-

Your daughter should attend a local registry office for their advice on the relevant documents that he will need to bring. They will probably advise that he needs to bring a certificate of no impediment to marriage from Canada in order to prove that he can marry your daughter. Obviously, if he is divorced then he will have to bring his original divorce decree.

If there are things to pay for and book for the wedding itself then I would strongly suggest that they instruct a solicitor to prepare the application and advise them on supporting documentation.

Some of the relevant documents that he will need to submit with his application for the visa would be some of the following:-
• Evidence of the intention to marry, so things like purchase of a ring, evidence of having met (photos correspondence etc), booking of a wedding venue, evidence of invites etc.
• Bank statements from them both going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter their employers stating that they have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets they hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between them showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where he will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements) during his stay
• Sponsorship declarations from your daughter supporting the application and possibly from you if you will assist during the stay.

I agree on the gov website, they recently migrated it from the UKBA and it’s almost wilfully confusing.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.

Kind regards,