How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Good morning. I regularly receive money to my UK account from

This answer was rated:

Good morning. I regularly receive money to my UK account from my partner who lives abroad. I was wondering whether there is some form of tax that this money is subject of...also, is there any cap ( how much money you can send to the UK maximum per year?) Please note that I am a full time student, not working in the UK. Many thanks for an answer.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

The only way that the income would be subject to tax is if HMRC deemed it “earned income” which would be subject to income tax.

However, if it is the case that this is money that your partner transfers to you so that you can meet the day to day expenses and live with a reasonable standard of living then you will be able to argue that this is unearned income. As such, it is not income from a trader or other consideration that you have earned and therefore not subject to income tax.

There is a no limit. If you submit an income tax return then you can declare it as “unearned income” and specify why you have declared it as such, but you should be fine.

There is no limit on the amounts that can be transferred to you, save that depending on how your partner is transferring the money there may be bank charges or foreign exchange fees but there are simply fees depending on how the money is held by your partner, they are not taxes.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you