How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

i work abroad - my wife in uk, have £25k upwards in savings.

This answer was rated:

i work abroad - my wife in uk, have £25k upwards in savings. my wife is on 2 year spouse visa - will apply for ILR in Nov 2014. wife not claiming any benefits i'm not paying any tax. will this affect my case?

Thanks for your question.

Are you a UK citizen?

What is your salary per annum please (ie. for the financial requirement)?

Where do you spend most of your time, abroad or in the UK?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes im UK citizen


40k tax free


Im in Saudi for 3 - 4 months and then back in uk for 2 - 3 weeks so most of my time abroad


When was your partner granted her spouse visa? Before or after 9 July 2012?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

before 9th July 2012


Thanks for your reply.

The key issue for you will be proving that you are settled in the UK. Because of the amount of time that you spend outside the UK you will have to argue that this is only spent purely for work purposes and that were it not for the fact that your work requires you to be outside of the UK then you would be in the UK all of the time.

If you are able to show that your continuing life is in the UK due to your family links, owning property, having bank accounts here and any other of the usual links one has to the country where they have their permanent home then you shoudl still be able to argue that you are settled in the UK and that your wife remains eligible to apply for ILR.

It's a bit of a complication though and because of this the need for you to instruct a UK based solicitor to prepare your wife's application and to also collate evidence and to draft your respective statements increases greatly so I would certainly do this when the time comes.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great Can you send me an email so i have your details - an i will contact you in the next 3 - 4 monhts when applying for visa.


Thanks for answer - will recommend you


I'm afraid not, private contact is prohibited under the conditions of use of the site.

You can use the Law Society's find a solicitor search engine to find solicitors near you and they will assist:-

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you