How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Greetings I should have talked to someone BEFORE I sent off

This answer was rated:

I should have talked to someone BEFORE I sent off my application for a replacement NTL Indefinite Leave to Remain. I lost an expired passport that has my ILTR stamp in it, that I carried along with my current passport whenever I needed to re-enter the UK. It appears that the stamp is not merely being replaced, but that my whole application for ILTR is being re-evaluated. The letter I received from Home Office indicates that I should plan no non-urgent travel for SIX MONTHS. As my job entails global travel on a monthly basis, obviously this length of time to be without my passport would mean I could not do my job. This is urgent for me!

However, they make it clear that I can ask for my passport back, to give them twenty days to get it back to me, AND my application may well be denied on that basis. I am really not sure how to proceed. Would having a lawyer write a letter on my behalf to ask for the passport back make it more likely that they would NOT deny my application? Do you have any experience in cases like this?

Thank you
Diane Koyich [email protected] XXXXXXXXXXX

You should have applied in person at a Premium Service Centre as that would have meant that your application will be dealt with on the same day normally.

You should contact the Home Office and ask them if they are able to upgrade your application to a same day application on the grounds of your work travel needs.

Otherwise I am afraid your application will be treated as being withdrawn unless you send them proof of your urgent need to travel and a supporting letter from work and see if they are willing to expedite your postal application.

A letter from a solicitor may or may not help, it is at their discretion whether or not to expedite.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you