How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hello, please can you advice me on what to do in this situation. My

Customer Question

Hello, please can you advice me on what to do in this situation.
My 17-year old sister is in Nigeria, The person caring for her is moving out of the country.
Then she will have no one caring for her, and there is no one out there that will be able to take care of her. that's why I was wondering if its possible for me to bring her here in the Uk. I am a Dutch citizen and a single mother of three kids and I work 12 hours a week.
Please, What do I need for me to be able to bring her here in the uk with me.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you presently based in the UK? What are your personal circumstances?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes I am based in the uk, what do you mean personal circumstances?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If you are a Dutch citizen living/working in the UK then you are exercising treaty rights in the UK.

I assume that if your sister is not Dutch citizen then the only way that she could apply is if she were dependent on you. This is because she is only classed as a “family member” for the purpose of apply for an EEA Family Permit to travel and work here if she is wholly or mainly reliant on you for day to day tasks and to maintain a reasonable standard of living.

Therefore, you have to prove dependency. This difficulty is that if her current carer is still caring for her then you will have to show that when they move away your sister will be left alone and will not be able to take care of herself.

In addition you would also have to show that her parents cannot take care of her.

This is a very complicated application and you would certainly need an immigration solicitor based in the UK to take your instructions and the advise you based on those specific instructions of what documentary evidence that you will have to gather.

The alternative would be if you adopted her, she could then simply apply as your child and would be successful provided that she made the application before she was 21 years old.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,