How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

How do I go self employed and get a UTR Number

Customer Question

How do I go self employed and get a UTR Number
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You have categorised this under "immigration law". I can help you with the self-employed/UTR question but can you first please let me know your immigration status in the UK?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I am a uk citizen not sure how I got to you but if you can help I will be very grateful

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.


Are you simply stating business as a sole-trader on your own?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

I shall assume that you have not registered for self-employment and do not have a Unique Taxpayer Reference number.

The first thing you have to do is to set about registering for self-employment self-assessment.

You can do this here by following the steps in the links:-

You will reach the end of the above link and you will have to create what is called a “government gateway” account. This is simply an account with details for you. Once yo have registered for this they will send you a User ID and a temporary password and a Unique Tax payer reference number so that you can then open your user ID and change your password.

You will at this point have successful registered for self-assement under selfemployment and will then be able to submit tax returns online.

As to “going self-employed” it’s not quite as formal as you might think. You don’t actually have to do anything income tax-wise in order to start trading. All you have to do is register for income tax in the above way, start trading and ensure that you submit your tax return for the first year in which you started trading by the return deadlines.

The tax year runs from 6 April to the following 5 April. The deadlines are:
• 31 October after the end of the tax year for paper returns
• 31 January after the end of the tax year for online tax returns
And the deadlines for payment of income tax for a given financial year are on the 31 January.

However, once you have submitted your first tax return and know what you have to pay in tax for the first year you will also have to pay the first “payment on account” for the next tax year. This is an amount calculated for the next tax return that you would submit and is effectively an upfront tax payment. The first is due by the same deadline as the tax return date (31 January) and the second payment on account is due by 31 July .

So, if you were to start trading today then the end of your first tax year would end 5th April 2015. This means that you would have until 31st January 2016 to file your online tax return, pay the tax for 2014/2015 and also pay the first payment on account for 2015/2016.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,