How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I need help please. I recieved my ILR five months ago and

This answer was rated:

I need help please.

I recieved my ILR five months ago and I'm looking to apply for naturalization, i am in no breach of immigration rule but concerned about the good character section of the AN form, i was convicted for drink driving on 08 02 2010 and was disqualified for 6 months, paid the fine in full same week. Could this conviction lead to the refusal of my application. I would like a fully detailed explanation please. Thanks

UKSolicitorJA : Hello,
UKSolicitorJA : what is your nationality please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am Nigerian, married to a British citizen
If you received ILR with the conviction, you are good for naturalisation as the good character test is the same and you passed it at the ILR stage.

As you are married to a British Citizen and assuming you have been in the UK lawfully for the last 3 years, you may apply for naturalisation immediately I.e. Right now.

Your conviction was non custodial and became spent after 3 years I.e. On 8 February 2013 which is why you obtained ILR 5 months ago as the conviction was spent.

Can I assist further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the response. Should I declare the conviction in the application or should i just not mention it as it's spent.. And one more thing to add, i am currently unemployed.
Unemployed is not a problem but you must declare your conviction, even if it is unspent.

All the best and thank you for the feedback. If you need further help, you may ask for UKSolicitorJA only to answer you.