How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I arrived in the UK on the 10th July 2012 with a Settlement

This answer was rated:

I arrived in the UK on the 10th July 2012 with a Settlement Visa.
I wish to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, but am not sure if it should not be Further leave to remain?
I also wish to know what the requirements will be to become a UK citizen from the point of receiving Indefinite or Further Leave to remain.
Thank you very much.
Kind regards
M Lavelle

Was your visa issued because your spouse is a British citizen? Also, when did your visa start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, my spouse is a British citizen. My visa started on the 4th July 2012

You are very fortunate that you applied and obtained your visa before 9th July 2012 as you are entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain up to 28 days before 10th July 2014.

The rules changed on 9 July 2012 and had you applied for your visa on or after this date, you would have waited for 5 years before you were eligible for Indefinite leave to remain, unlike you who are eligible for it after only 2 years in the UK.

Once you get your ILR, you may apply for British Citizenship on or after the third anniversary of the day you entered the UK I.e. On or after 10 July 2015.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you