How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Need new visa after 8 years in UK on EEA visa.

This answer was rated:

If have asked this question before, but we are still not sure what to do. I have lived in UK as EEA national for 12 years. I have been married for 8 years, my wife has Ukrainian passport My wife has a now 20 year old daughter who has lived with us the whole time We are moving to Norway now, but the 20 year old wants to stay. Question is how can we help her to stay in UK. She could get EEA visa before we move, but the problem is I travel every week and cannot be without my passport. Is there any way around that? She checked with a local college about enrolling, but she needs a visa before enrolling. But to get a visa, she needs to be enrolled! Catch 22. Any way around this? She has (will shortly) have her own place to live, has a job and has lived in UK 8 years. There must be some way for her to legally remain in UK. Regards, Sven


I suspect that your wife's daughter may already be a permanent resident in the UK which would allow her to live her on her own and study, work etc.

In fact, she may also be eligible to apply for UK citizenship straight away although it may be advisable,for her to apply for a permanent residency card first and then UK citizenship.

She would need to apply on form EEA4 for confirmation of her PR, see below

I would advise that an immigration lawyer be appointed to assist with the applications.

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



As I mentioned above, as far as I know, for her to get EEA4 visa, I must send my passport, for several months. But as I travel every week, I cannot.


Can she still get EEA visa? Or do we have to explore other options?



She may apply on the basis of a certified copy of your passport.

The EEA4 application is the best option.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is great. But are you sure a certified copy is accepted. I have read many who say it has to be the real passport. Do you know of anyone who have successfully gotten EEA4 with a certified copy.


Best regards,


Yes, if you send an explanation that the original passport is required for travel.

They may call for the original passport if they have any doubt about its authenticity.

Please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks alot, very helpful!!


Have a nice weekend