How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hello, I will be getting married at the end of may in Indonesia. Indonesian

This answer was rated:


I will be getting married at the end of may in Indonesia.

Indonesian authorities require a letter stating that I am a permanent resident in the UK, and that I intend on marrying an Indonesian national in Indonesia, the letter must also state my religion.

I was under the impression that I would be able to obtain a letter called a 'notice of marriage' from my local registry office.

I spoke with my registry office today to arrange the appointment and they said that they would be unable to provide me with this letter because I am not a UK national.

I am French national (and US) having resided in the UK for 25 years. Is it possible to get this letter from a UK solicitor mentioning my intent to marry abroad to an Indonesian national.

You may apply for British Citizenship as you have been here for so long, and then obtain the notice from your local Registry.

However, the above process could take a few months and if you wish to get married in the next 2 to 3 months, then it may not be feasible to first apply for British citizenship.

You should check with the Indonesians if they will accept a notice or letter from the French consulate or the US embassy in London as the solicitor's letter will not be official authority and may be refused.

Can I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you