How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am residing in the UK on a diplomatic visa but want to slowly

This answer was rated:

I am residing in the UK on a diplomatic visa but want to slowly transition out of that job and contribute to the local UK economy by starting an online classifieds/directory business with a UK national as my partner. I do not want to leave my government post until the business has become profitable enough. Eventually, I hope to become a permanent UK resident.

I have spoken with Immigration who, after reviewing my visa, stated I am not permitted to work or start a business in the UK. Further, if I want to change my visa status, I must leave the country and apply for a different visa type. Is there any way possible for the business to be setup - whether through my UK national partner, myself, or both of us as a partnership - that would not violate the terms of my visa? I am even open to off-shoring if necessary.

Looking forward to any advice you have to help me turn this dream into a reality!

You are not allowed to be employed or self employed in the UK but there is nothing stopping you from setting up a UK Company as an investor and becoming a shareholder and director of it. Even a visitor or an overseas person outside the UK may do that.

If your spouse is British, you should apply for a spouse settlement visa from outside the UK from your home country which will entitle you to work and live in the UK.
See here for the procedure for this visa application

Can I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you