How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
Immigration Law

My wife is planning to file for divorceWe got married 23

My wife is planning to... Show More
My wife is planning to file for divorce

We got married 23 years ago in Sri Lanka under Islamic law there is an act of parliament

Can she apply in the UK even the marriage was never registered here
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Show Less
Ask Your Own Immigration Law Question
replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is your marriage legal in Sr Lanka?
How long have you lived in the Uk?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Yes it's registered in Sri Lanka under the Muslim marriage Act we have can call me XXXXXXXXXXX
Clare, Solicitor replied 3 years ago.
In that case since you were legally married in Sri Lanka that marriage is recognised here and your wife can indeed issue a Divorce Petition here in the UK.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details