How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, My question is about applying for ILR in the UK. Ive

Customer Question

My question is about applying for ILR in the UK.
I've been living in the UK for last seven years. I came as a student, after graduation I got tier one post study visa. Then I upgraded it to tier one general. Then I set up start up in fashion. My tier one expired in January 2013, before that date I applied for tier one entrepreneur. It was rejected in March 2013. I applied for tribunal, but my solicitor gave me wrong advice and we l lost in June 2013. In July 2013 I applied again for entrepreneur visa with almost same documents and I got visa in late September 2013.
It will expire in September 2016. I wonder can I apply then for ILR?
Or do I need to extend my entrepreneur visa for another two years and only then apply?
Many thanks for help
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The fact that your original application was refused in March 2013 and appeal refused as well means you would need to complete 5 years on your current entrepreneur visa so you would need to apply for an extension and then apply for ILR after 5 years I.e. From August 2018.

Can i help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


can I transfer from tier 1 entrepreneur to other categories?

If I can do that can I still apply for ILR??

Can I become dependant and my partner switch from dependant to other tier categories? Do we need to leave the country and apply from outside?

thank you

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You may switch to a tier 2 general visa without leaving the country and get ILR after 5 years on a combination of both tier 1 and tier 2 categories.

Your partner will probably have to leave the UK to switch to a main category.

Hope this clarifies. Please leave feedback