How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Im a 66 years old British citizen disabled lady with a benign

Customer Question

I'm a 66 years old British citizen disabled lady with a benign brain tumour behind the left eye which is making me partially blind and now requires radiotherapy and an operation. I am at the stage where I'm in need of a 24 hours carer. I'd like to bring the family cleaner/carer from Egypt as she knows my culture and mother tongue language as this tumour is starting to affect my language and concentration and she knows how I function and work as well as my personal needs. What are the process to obtaining the correct domestic worker visa to bring her to the UK please and is there someone who can aid with my application to bringing her in as I will need help with the application? She has been working for my family for about 2 years now.


Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sam,

Thanks for your question.

As this is plainly very important to you, you should instruct a UK based solicitor practising immigration law to prepare the application for your helper.

The problem that you will find with the domestic worker visa is that it is subject to a maximum length of stay of 6 months. She must return home at the end of the 6 months period. She cannot apply to extent this type of visa.

It is very important that she has been employed by you for longer than one year, so you would have to show proof of this in the form of an employment contract and evidence that she has been paid and paid tax on the earnings.

The page on the domestic worker visa is here.

Obviously it's probably very unsatisfactory that she can only stay for up to 6 months, but there is no other category applicable. Applicants have in the past attempted to get a Tier 2 Sponsored worker visa, but they tend not to work because it's not really a job carried out for a business OR a job which cannot be legitimately filled by one of the residence labour force in the UK.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You mention I provide work contract and proof of payments. That can be provided but her work has been with us in Egypt, not in the UK. Will that be a problem?she has never worked outside of Egypt.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

No, not a problem at all. In fact it is expected that the applicant be employed outside the uk with the employer.

Provided you do have the contract and printed paper then you will be fine.

Kind regards