How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Dear lawyer, I am a UK citizen (born and bred in England)

This answer was rated:

Dear lawyer,

I am a UK citizen (born and bred in England) and I am currently working in Russia. My contract finishes end of November and I wish to return to the UK with my Russian wife - we married in March this year. As I understand the rules I have to be 'settled' in the UK for her to join me. With the financial requirements this could take over 8 months - maybe longer. Why can't my wife come with me in November and if not, can I sue the UK government for forcing me to break my marriage vows? Yours Garry Smout

Do you and her have any savings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. About 10,000 pounds. I also have a house in UK that I am renting out

Thank you.

Unfortunately, you need to have cash savings of more than 16,000 pounds for these to be taken into account.

The Home Office financial requirement is currently being litigated in the courts, but until the outcome is known, I am afraid you will need to be separated from your wife, there are many people in your situation.


There are more than 3000 applications currently on hold pending the outcome of the court case, see here:



The minimum income rules are explained here:

May I help further?

UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you