How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My late sons wife and two grandsons are trying to come back

This answer was rated:

My late sons wife and two grandsons are trying to come back to England from Thailand the boys British passports have expired so they are trying to come over on their Thai passports the problem is she is having trouble applying for visas and although she has paid someone to help she is is confused over what she needs to do .

As your grandson's are British Citizens, they cannot obtain UK visas.

Their British passports will need to be renewed as they are expired so that they can come to the UK without any issue.

The process for renewing is here:

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has tried to renew their passports but as her English is not good she is relying on people to help her from what I gather they have not come back she mentioned that they had gone to Hong Kong! But as you can gather things are a bit I optional as our son died November 2011 suddenly and she has tried to cope on her own

There are lots of fake agents in Thailand and she should really approach the British Embassy directly for assistance.

The process is quite simple as set out below:

How long it takes

Your application will take at least 6 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

Applications may take longer if:

  • Her Majesty’s Passport Office needs to ask you for more information or documents
  • the photographs you send are rejected

Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document.


You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £23.01. The courier fee pays for your passport to be sent securely to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied for you to collect.

Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee)
Child passport £53.00 £76.01

Fill in a ‘Paying by credit card or debit card’ form for each passport you’re applying for and submit it with your application. Your credit or debit card will be charged in sterling.

You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.

How to apply

  1. Download the application form.
  2. Use the ‘Applying for a passport if you’re outside the UK’ guidance notes to help you fill in the application form.
  3. Include 2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if it’s a child passport application). Follow the rules about passport photos or your application may be delayed.
  4. Check which supporting documents you must submit with your application. You must get documents that aren’t in English - including documents showing an address - fully translated by a professional translator.

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied - you must collect it in person.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

You must bring your existing passport as photo ID.

The above process for renewing their passports is here:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What can I do to help her we have already given our details and confirmed that they will be staying with us but this has not seemed to be enough
You may ring up the Passport Office in the UK and see whetheranything can be done from here but if the children are in Thailand, their renewal applications will have to be made there unless the Passport office makes an exception.

Otherwise you could fly to Thailand and assist the renewals from there.

The renewal applications should be straightforward if your son's death certificate is available to show that his wife has sole parental responsibility for the children now that he is no more.

Please leave feedback for the answers.

Thank you
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you